Skip to content

NOAA Predicts Above-Normal 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season

Updated Hurricane Season Outlook and Preparation Tips

NOAA has released its predictions for the 2024 Atlantic hurricane season, forecasting an above-normal level of activity. As businesses brace for the season spanning from June 1 to November 30, it’s crucial to take proactive measures now to ensure safety and continuity.

2024 Hurricane Season Forecast

Forecasters at the NOAA Climate Prediction Center estimate an 85% chance of above-normal activity, a 10% chance of near-normal activity, and a 5% chance of below-normal activity for this hurricane season. Here’s what to expect:

  • 17 to 25 Named Storms: Winds of 39 mph or higher.
  • 8 to 13 Hurricanes: Winds of 74 mph or higher.
  • 4 to 7 Major Hurricanes: Winds of 111 mph or higher.

These predictions come with a 70% confidence level, significantly attributed to near-record warm Atlantic Ocean temperatures, La Niña conditions in the Pacific, reduced Atlantic trade winds, and less wind shear, all favorable for tropical storm formation.

New Measures and Preparedness

NOAA Administrator Rick Spinrad emphasized the agency’s commitment to providing life-saving information. Thus highlighting new AI-enabled language translations and a depiction of inland wind threats in the forecast cone. “Our proactive steps are designed to save lives and protect property,” Spinrad said.

FEMA Deputy Administrator Erik A. Hooks underscored the importance of preparedness: “Severe weather and emergencies can happen at any moment, which is why individuals and communities need to be prepared today. Proactive measures today can significantly impact how well people recover tomorrow.”

How Businesses Can Prepare

As a Managed Service Provider dedicated to helping businesses, WheelHouse IT urges companies to prepare now. Visit our storm resource page at www.wheelhouseit.com/storm for essential tips and resources. Additionally, always get updated storm track information from official sources like the National Hurricane Center.

With another active hurricane season approaching, businesses must take steps to mitigate risks. Ensure your business continuity plans are up-to-date, protect critical data with robust backup solutions, and educate your employees on emergency procedures.

Don’t wait—start your preparations today to ensure your business is ready to weather any storm this hurricane season.

a woman in a business suit is using a laptop

Reliable Network Monitoring Support

Reliable Network Monitoring Support Ensure network security and operational efficiency with robust network monitoring. A strong monitoring system is indispensable

a man holding a computer case with many wires

How to Protect Your Electronics Against Disaster

Know how to protect your business technology and electronics against natural disasters. It’s important for companies to develop a game plan that will ensure employees are able to communicate with others before, during, as well as after a natural disaster to keep the business running.

Let's Start a Conversation

Watch the video below and find out why you should fill out this form and start a conversation today.

"*" indicates required fields

Name*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.